
I recommend starting papers with a story or maybe a joke. Anything is better than a bland statement. You could try using a startling fact like 46% of Americans are obese. Then you can continue in your opening paragraph to the thesis statement. I tend to start most of my papers with a story straight from my life. This helps me establish some credibility and get's them at least somewhat interested. If you want some more ideas check out Roxanne's tips.
I also like to read some articles in the newspaper or in magazines to get some good ideas. Sometimes you can find an article with a really interesting opener even though you might not have been interested in it before you read the opening. The best way to self check if it's interesting is have some people read over and see if they liked the opening. Peer feedback is a very valuable asset when writing a paper.
One last helpful tip for thinking of a good opening to your paper is do not stare at a blank screen. I don't even want to know how many hours of my life I've wasted doing that when I was younger. Sometimes just write down your thesis and come back and think of an opening. You can even take a break and go do something. This could help refresh your memory of a good story that would pertain or just help your mind clear up and think of something new and creative.
By Matt Long
No comments:
Post a Comment