Sunday, April 29, 2012

#29 Top 10 Writing Errors

1309279630-95.gif

Here is a list of the Top 10 Common Errors made in the English writing world. I will explain what the error means if it is not already self explanatory, give you an example that is incorrect, then show the correct way.

Top 10 Errors:

1. Comma Splice - put two complete sentences together into one sentence.

Incorrect: I was up all night studying I am tired this morning.

Correct: I was up all night studying, and I am tired this morning

2. Run on sentence

Incorrect: Mr. N was hit by a school bus he was late for class.

Correct: Mr. N was hit by a school bus. He was late for class.

3. Incomplete sentence

Incorrect: After Composition class

Correct: After Composition class I have Chemistry.

4. Intro clause comma missing - putting a comma after an introduction.

Incorrect: Before I went to DMACC I went to Southeast Polk

Correct: Before I went to DMACC, I went to Southeast Polk

5. Semi-colon misusage

Incorrect: The paper was finished I had spent hours writing it.

Correct: The paper was finished; I had spent hours writing it.

6. Misplaced Modifier

Incorrect: I nearly wrote this blog in six hours.

Correction: I wrote this blog for nearly six hours.

7. Singular Plural Disagreement

Incorrect: There are a book on the table

Correct: There is a book on the table.

8. Verb Tense Shift

Incorrect: I wrote the paper then turn it in

Correct: I wrote the paper then turned it in

9. Missing Apostrophe

Incorrect: Hes not going to be in class today.

Correct: He’s not going to be in class today.

10. Comma missing from items in a series

Incorrect: Mr. N likes double rainbows mice hair and school bus drivers

Correct: Mr. N likes double rainbows, mice hair, and school bus drivers.


Brittany Parlee

No comments: